This actually happened a while ago, but due to the fact that it was part of some people's Christmas present, I didn't post it so the surprise wouldn't be spoiled! I went and saw Wicked the Musical a couple of years ago in San Diego. It was soooo good! I wanted to see it again. When my friends and I got those tickets, it was a lot of trouble to get them, and we ended up being spread out all over the balcony. So this time, I decided I would do whatever it took to get good tickets, and be able to sit by the people that I went with. Wicked will be here in April. I think I've known this for about a year..but I found out that the tickets would be available at the Capitol Theatre on Dec 12 starting at 7am. They wouldn't be available online and on the phone until 10am. I didn't have to work that day, so I decided I would be spending the night out on the streets of Salt Lake City waiting in line to get tickets.
Apparently a lot of other people had the same plan! Matt was kind enough to come with me. We decided we should be down there by midnight at the lastest, and when they showed it on the news at 9, no one was down there. We had heavy warm sleeping bags, camping chairs, blankets, we each had a backpack filled with food and fun, and we had a thermos of hot chocolate!
When we got there, we were already almost back to the corner of the street! It looked like there were so many people in front of us! We had been there about an hour, when some people from the theatre came walking down the line. They were handing out wristbands. The wristbands were given to 100 people. They had decided that this was the number of people they could GAURANTEE would get tickets before 10am when all the other ticket venues and purchasing options opened up. We were about 5 people behind the last wristband! They put up a sign explaining all of this where they had given out the last wristband....we were so close to the sign! This got me down a little at first, I was so discouraged. I thought I had planned so well....and for once in my life, I just wanted to get a wristband instaed of being "that close" to getting one. Ya know what I mean? Anyway, then I started thinking about it, and I decided that they must have overestimated the amount of time that it would take to process everyone...because they had to gaurantee those wristband people tickets, right? So we decided that we would most likely get tickets before 10am, and we would just be prepared to start calling on our cell phones and try to get on the internet if we had to. So from then on....we just waited.
(Look how close we were to the sign!!!)
Matt had his laptop, so we watched a movie, but then I started getting tired, and I knew I should try to get some sleep....or I wouldn't be able to make it through the next day.
So, we noticed that some people down the line had turned their chairs around because there were ledges on the windows of the building we were sitting by. So we did the same thing and put our feet up on the ledge. It turned out to be really comfortable! Only my feet were cold, and once I took my shoes off (in my sleeping bag), they warmed up.
(This is our reflection in the window where we had a feet up)
I had a problem sleeping though. I kept getting distracted with everyone walking by, or driving by. Then the news crews showed up, and I kept getting distracted with them. I wanted them to come talk to me, but they never did (boo)! I think I ended up getting about 2 hours of sleep. Then we got up and all stood in line. The moment of truth was getting closer....would we get tickets before 10am? Matt was awesome and hurried and took most of our stuff back to the car so we wouldn't have to deal with it in line. Then, we stood, and waited, and it looked like the line was moving at a pretty fast pace.

(This is while we were standing in line, see the Capitol Theatre behind us? Almos there!!)
We ended up getting to the box office, just after 8 am! We totally got tickets! We each got 8 tickets. They are on 2 different nights, and one of the nights 4 of them are further back than the rest. But 12 of them are close! I'm so excited!! Only 4 more months now until we can go!! It was actually really fun sleeping on the street....I have definitely never done that in the winter! (There was onetime my family slept outside of Smith's for Jazz finals tickets, but that was warm!!). I'm so glad we stayed, and I'm going to see Wicked again!!
(This is me laying on our stuff....I don't remember why, but I figured I should put up a goofy picture of me, because of the next one! Look at Matt's awesome hat hair!!)
3 comments:
Congrats! I've never seen Wicked, but really want to! Maybe one day...
I'm SO jealous!!! Congrats on getting good tickets! Looks like you guys had quite the adventure!
I AM SO SUPER JEALOUS! But hey WE ARE GOING TO RASCAL FLATTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment