Wednesday, December 3, 2008

This is my least favorite thing....


I have a pet peeve that I would like to vent. Just to warn you, this post will be negative, and possibly "grinchy" to some. I LOVE Christmas music. I listen to it 24/7 all season long. I have way too many Christmas CD's, and yes most of them have duplicate songs, but the great thing is they are sung by different people, and therefore different. Now, I noticed something a few years back, and I don't know how long it's been going on, but this year, I just have to say something! Who in the world decided that "My Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music is a Christmas song?!? I don't care if you dress it up with jingle bells in the background..it's not a Christmas song! I know it talks about "brown paper packages tied up with string" and "silver white winters that melt into springs". How do these things make it a Christmas song...or even a Holiday song for that matter? I too love brown paper packages tied up with strings..I mean who doesnt? But when was the last time you saw a Christmas present that looked like that? Then these "silver white winters" that melt....well to me that sounds like a Springtime song! The only line that even comes close to being a valid Christmas/Winter song is "snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes." But can one line really validate the amount that this song is played during Christmas time? Or validate that fact that it's now on multiple Christmas albums?

To me it seems like some genius got bored with the traditional Christmas carols and needed something "new and fresh". Well, if that's the case then go ahead and write a NEW Christmas song. Dont' try to pass off this classic song from a classic movie/musical as a Christmas song. I know, you're probably thinking that a new Christmas song wouldn't have a chance...well I beg to differ! Have you ever heard of "My Grown-UP Christmas List" or "Christmas Shoes" and then there's "Where Are You Christmas" and "Believe". Granted the last two of those have movies associated with them, but the other two seem to have done just fine by themselves.

Sorry that this rant has gone on way too long! I just can't accept that this song is a Christmas song. I say, next time, you couldn't do worse if you tried writing your own new song!

4 comments:

Alysa Clark said...

I love it! So true Steph!! No more fake Christmas tunes for us! :)
Love your guts lady. Wish you luck with the best Christmas carols!!

Tiff and Trev said...

STEPH!!! You're a blogger too! That's fantastic!!! I'm so happy I found you...now I can "see" you more often :o). How's life? I miss you guys!

Oh, and by the way, I COMPLETELY agree with this post, "My Favorite Things" is NOT a Christmas song. I get irritated any time it comes on the radio and change the station ASAP. I'd rather listen to commercials than that! (I do love the Sound of Music though, just agree with you, that it's NOT a Christmas song!!!)

Keri said...

I TOTALLY AGREE! I just heard it this week and I'm like WHAT??? I've never heard it on before this last week. It is definately NOT a christmas song.

Michael and Rachel said...

Totally agreed. My other pet peeve is the Charlie Brown song. I know they have the movie, "Charlie Brown's Christmas" but, is the theme itself actually Christmas related? Maybe I haven't watched enough Charlie Brown in my lifetime to know. :)