In July Matt and I did a moonlight bike ride on Antelope Island. It's a huge event! My parents told us about it because they were planning on doing it and wanted us to come with them. The thing is Matt and I had been so busy with Relay for Life stuff, and just life in general we had only gone on a total of 3 bike rides the whole year. It's called a "fun ride" so there's no competition, and you can go at whatever pace you need to, but wow was I not ready for it :) It made me feel better that most people were walking their bikes up the very last giant hill, and they looked more fit than I am. ;) But back to the beginning....
We didn't want to be there too early...because why would we just want to stand around for hours? Well, apparently everyone had the same thought as we did! My parents must have made it there right before the HUGE rush of people. They said they had to wait in a long line of cars, but they got through it 10 times faster than we did.

My parents were sweet and waited for us to get through the line. It took us about an hour. They had run out of parking lot space, so we had to park on the causeway (?). Luckily there were still hundreds of people behind us, so it's not like any of us were left behind! It was pretty awesome to see the trail of headlights going along the mountain side. I was a little nervous about how many people there were going to be around us (I'm still re-learning how to ride a bike). There were tons of people, but I didn't feel crowded! My parents and Matt were nice and kept my pace (which was slower than theirs!). This was a really fun ride! We rode down to "the ranch" where they had snacks and water. It was a nice break!
 |
| My ADORABLE parents! |
 |
| Matt and Me |
 |
| My parents with the moon in the background (the moon is those several dots of light above their heads!) |
 |
| Matt and me with the moon in the background (again, the moon is the dots of light above our heads) |
The break was much needed! With only doing 3 bike rides before this (and weeks before this one), my bottom side was not accustomed to sitting on a bike seat for very long. It's about 11 point something miles to the ranch. We had to hurry and get back on our bikes because my dad had to be somewhere at 6 in the morning, so the closer to midnight that we could back to our cars the better!
 |
| The view! |
My hands were also killing me. They felt like they were bleeding, but luckily they really weren't! Matt tried to pull of my handle bar grippy things (i don't know what they are called!) so he could switch them with the ones on his bike. He has some super soft grippy things. Mine are pinchy and pokey. :) Love that description right?

Unfortunately, he had no success. But I toughed it out and made it back. I decided i want to buy gloves though :) My parents sped off on the way back. When we talked to them later, they said they thought we were ahead of them and they were trying to keep up (we all know there's no way I would be ahead of them and staying ahead of them :)). They also rode the whole way up the huge giant hill at the end! They didn't get off and walk their bikes for any of it!! Do you remember how I said tons of people were doing it, and a lot of them looked way more in shape than me? My parents are rock stars! It was really so much fun! My goal is to do it again and keep up with my parents!
 |
| I don't actually wear glasses, they were to keep the bugs from getting in my eyes. It happens every single time I ride without glasses, and I have to stop and pull over to get the bug out of my eye. So dumb! |
1 comment:
I want to do this! How fun to do it with your parents--so cool!!
Post a Comment