Friday, April 24, 2009

What would you ask?


Tonight was amazing! That's all there is to it. It just kept getting better, and better! This is going to be a LONG post, so buckle up! First of all, I don't know if any of you remember my post about sitting outside in the cold all night to get tickets to Wicked, but today was the day! We finally got to see Wicked! Matt picked me up from work and we went and got his sister Jenny, then the three of us went to a Thai restaurant. The food was great! They served us fast, and it was some seriously good stuff!
Next we went to find a parking space, and while we were driving around, we saw my family walking across the street! We yelled and they eventually saw us. We got to the theater and they hadn't opened the doors to be seated yet, so we were just waiting in the main lobby. I was looking around for my family and as soon as we spotted each other my brother came over to tell us that they had seen Elder Perry! Sure enough, there he was across the lobby, as tall as ever. We only had to wait about 2 minutes, and we were entering the theater. We had some AMAZING seats! We were split into two groups of four, one on the 10th row and one on the 11th. So close! The only other time I saw Wicked was from a balcony seat in a huge theater. This was great! So, eventually Elder Perry comes in and ends up sitting about 4 or 5 rows in front of us. There were a lot of people coming to say hi to him. Then, my brother Brian overhears the girls in front of us talking they were saying that President Monson and Preident Uchtdorf were in the balcony area. So I eventaully talked my brother into running up the stairs just to check. Sure enough, President Uchtdorf and President Monson were up there!
Right after that we noticed throngs of people going up to the front of the theater and then turning around and pointing their cameras up at the balcony area....apparently taking pictures of President Monson and President Uchtdorf. Finally it was time for the show to start. I LOVE IT! It's so funny, and the actors were so amazing! They had awesome voices! The costumes, the sets, everything was incredible! Then at intermission we all took our varios turns walking down to the front to see if we could see President Monson or Uchtdorf. I saw President Uchtdorf standing up and talking to people. All the time we kept walking back and forth we were walking down the isle right by Elder Perry. Finally Matt and Jenny talked me into going with them to shake Elder Perry's hand. I was afraid to bother him because so many people already had.....and I forgot to mention that the size of the crowd pointing cameras up at the balcony has probably tripled from what it was befor the show started.
Now, I'm sure many of you have pondered what you would say if you ever had the chance to meet an apostle.....probably something profound, or thought provoking, or ask some great doctrinal quesiont....well guess what I came up with? I shook Elder Perry's hand and I said, "Are you enjoying the show?" He said he was....now I know there are way worse things I could have asked....but when I sat down and the show had started again, it took me about 5 minutes to stop replaying that moment in my head...and feeling stupid, haha! But, I'm ok with it now..i'm sure tons of people asked him.....or maybe not...but oh well! Well the second half was just as amazing as the first. It's such an incredible production!
When it was over, my brother led the way out the side door because that is the way Elder Perry went. Elder Perry just kept walking down the street like a regular person. Well, we took some pictures outside of the theater with our whole group (we all wore black and green by the way...pretty cute!). We were still standing out in front of the "alley way" where the side doors open up to. All of a sudden, here comes President Monson and his body guards and his wife! The securty men came first and cleared a way for Sister Monson's wheel chair, and he was following right behind her. He said, "Wasn't that an amazing show?" I was seriously standing like 6 inches away from him, he almost tripped right in front of me, but luckily didn't! It was so great....back during conference I was thinking about him, and I realized that I think of him as a friend. This might sound crazy....but try to take it in the not crazy way...I feel like I know him! You know when you see people on tv that you know, and you shout at the TV, "OH I know them!" or something like that. If you saw your friend on TV you'd probably call them or talk to them about it the net time you saw them....I feel like I could do that with President Monson. That's how I get when I see him on TV, but then I realize that no, I don't know him, I just know a lot about him, and I respect him a lot. Anyway it was great!
My family left and Matt and Jenny and I just kept hanging out on the sidewalk for a little while. It was a nice night, and we were thinking that maybe President Uchtdorf would be coming out. We never saw him leave, but I saw a guy who looked like the main guy Fiero...and then some more people who looked like they were dancers...and then all of a sudden I saw the actors who had played the Wizard and Madame Morrible. They were so nice! They let us take a picture with them, and were just really sweet! Then, right after that the actress who played Galinda walked out, but she hurried and turned the corner and hustled down the street. We decided to see if we could meet the girl who played Elphaba, but we never saw her. While we were waiting we did see Bronco Mendenhall (BYU's football coach) walk out with I'm guessing his 3 sons. We had such a good time!
Then, we decided we needed to get to Jenny's house pronto to watch the end of the Jazz vs. Lakers game 3. We got there in time to watch the last 3 1/2 minutes...and the Jazz ended up winning!! Sounds like a pretty perfect night right? Top it off with Jenny's strawberry shortcake, and jamming out to the Wicked soundtrack with Matt on the way home, and it makes it just about perfect! Well to those of you who made it through this whole post, Congratulations, you're finished!

No comments: