10 Weeks
That is how long I have officially been on bed rest! 2 1/2 months. 70 days.
Long story short: (this might be TMI for some people!) At 20 weeks we went in for the regular anatomy ultrasound (this is the one where you find out if it's a boy or girl!). I have a history that made them concerned about the length of my cervix, so they wanted to make sure they got a really good measurement. After the ultrasound tech looked at everything, she went and got one of the Maternal Fetal Medicine dr.'s. He came in and let us know that my cervix was on the short side (basically prematurely thinning out or effacing). Anything above 2.5 cm is considered normal and mine was about 1.8 cm. He told me they wanted to keep an eye on it so I should come back in 3 weeks. They also put me on progesterone, hoping it would strengthen the cervix. We went in 3 weeks later and it had shortened to 1.5 cm. The dr. told me to start taking it easy, that I should start "restricting my activity". They wanted us back in 3 more weeks. So when we went in I was 25 weeks +5 days. My cervix at shortened to 1.1 cm. The dr. had us go down to labor and delivery to make sure I wasn't having contractions. Then, they let me know I was officially on bed rest! Luckily this doesn't mean I was totally confined to bed! I was allowed to sit with my feet up. I was allowed to get ready in the morning (as long as I sat down when I could during the process). I was allowed to get myself food as long as I didn't do dishes or make something that would have me on my feet for more than 10 minutes. I couldn't go to the store...even to run in and out for one thing. I could only go on short drives (we asked about going to South Ogden to see our families and the dr. said no). No cleaning or chores, and no going to work. Luckily I was able to get it worked out so I could do a little bit of work from home!
That turned out a little longer than I meant! Imagine if I had told the long version!
I have been so blessed since I started bed rest! I've had so many people come and visit, or check in on me. I've had people bring me books and movies and treats/lunches. I honestly can't express how touched I've been by how many people care!
Things I've done to try to stay "busy":
Read
watch TV (I've watched a lot of HGTV)
get ready (most days)
crochet
write thank you notes
blog (a little bit)
checking facebook
checking instagram
surf the internet
online shopping
watch my belly dance
paint and cut my fingernails
made Matt take me to dinner once
go on short drives with Matt
I've gotten a couple pedicures (it's sitting down right?)
go to friend's houses a few blocks away
watched Matt cook and clean and work on projects for the baby :)
go to Dr.'s appointments
Chick-fil-a drive through after dr.'s appointments :)
and I'm sure 100 other little things I can't remember at the moment!
My view's most days:
I've only taken a few belly pictures. I had plans of taking them often....but you know....sometimes you forget to do things like that ;)
![]() |
| 29 Weeks |
![]() |
| 30 Weeks |
![]() |
| 35 Weeks |
So, we've made it farther than expected! There's a light at the end of the tunnel! I'll be 36 weeks on Thursday and my dr. said she will most likely let me go off of bed rest! This week she said I could increase my activity "a little bit". We are in the home stretch! I just have to say how lucky I am to have Matt! If you ever have to go on bed rest you definitely want to make sure you have a husband like Matt around! He has taken care of the majority of dinners since I've been on bed rest (we've been really blessed to have family and friends step in here and there!). He has made sure the house got cleaned, all while studying for a huge test for work! He's also made sure the baby's room got finished, and the "garden" got cleaned out. Seriously, he's amazing!
Someday soon we will be posting pictures of our "little ladybug"! We are so excited to meet her!





3 comments:
Girl! I wish we were better connected. I was on bed rest too, for about the same amount of time, for pre-eclampsia. I wish I had known! I would have totally brought my kids and come for a visit. Bed rest is the Pits. Btw, I vote for "Hadley." Not that I have any say. But that was the name of one of Hemingway's wives. There's a Hadley in our ward; she's a doll.
Oh, Stephanie, I don't know how you've done it!! Ugh, bed rest would be the WORST! I am, however, SO thankful that you have made it to a safe point. What a blessing. Keep that little bun cooking as long as possible.
And you look amazing, BTW! This baby is going to be gorgeous!
Oh, Stephanie, I don't know how you've done it!! Ugh, bed rest would be the WORST! I am, however, SO thankful that you have made it to a safe point. What a blessing. Keep that little bun cooking as long as possible.
And you look amazing, BTW! This baby is going to be gorgeous!
Post a Comment