In October 2012 Matt and I went to New York with Matt's sister Jenny. Are you ready for the longest recap of a trip ever? I tried to combine as many pictures as I could, and hopefully I won't go into too many boring details. I'm afraid I might though, so just skim past it and look at all the pictures if you feel like it :)
Our first "day" in New York started on Friday night. We left SLC at 11:30 p.m.
Our first "day" in New York started on Friday night. We left SLC at 11:30 p.m.
We flew all night and tried to get some sleep, but I don't think any of us accumulated more than a couple of hours. When we got to New York and met up with our shuttle it was around 6:00 a.m.
We were almost the last ones to get dropped off at our hotel, so it was past 7 by time we got to the hotel. We stayed at the Hampton Inn only a couple of blocks away from Times Square.
They were awesome! We were there several hours before check-in time so they let us leave our bags and go eat the continental breakfast (which is one of the reasons we stayed there). From there we went and picked up our New York City Pass. This thing was a pretty good deal! You just pay for the pass and then you can get into all the museums and a bunch of other local attractions with no additional fee. After that we decided to head to Times Square and check it out.
Our plan was to get tickets to a matinee that day, so we waited in line at TKTS and got tickets to see Mary Poppins. We still had a few hours before we could check in and before the show started, so we decided to walk to some other stuff near by.
I had been to New York before, but I hadn't gone to a lot of places. The first place we stopped at was St. Patrick's Cathedral. I hadn't been here before and was completely blown away when we walked in! It was gorgeous!
Some of the sculptures and things were very different from what I'm used to seeing, but they were definitely amazing. Oddly enough, this ended up being one of my favorite places we visited.
Next we walked just down the block to Radio City Music Hall. We went on a tour of that. We were so exhausted from being up most of the night, our tour guide wasn't impressed by our lack of enthusiasm on the tour. I loved the details of the building, but the tour was a little slow/long for liking.
When we were in the actual auditorium the tour guide, and a lot of people in our tour, kept commenting on how large it was. While it was definitely big it didn't seem near as massive as the LDS Conference Center in our good old SLC, UT. We were just some unimpressed Mormons. :) One of the interesting things we learned was about the stage. It was the first of it's kind with it's huge hydrolics underneath that help it move up and down. During WWII (or was it I??) the government started using similar mechanics on their big carrier ships, so there were armed guards by the stage preventing spies from learning about it and using to their advantage. Crazy right?
After our tour we found a food cart and tried the gyros we'd heard so much about. It was definitely good. The best part was taking a break and sitting down!!
Then, we headed over to the theater for our matinee of Mary Poppins!
Outside the theater we saw some good old fashioned NYPD in action. This show is adorable! I love it. Matt and I saw it when it came to Utah. This turned out to be helpful because all three of us kept falling asleep during the first act. We were so exhausted, and we were packed in there which made it really warm. The perfect combo for some zzz's. Luckily we got some sugary treats during intermission and the second act has a little more pep than the first one. I don't think any of us fell asleep during the second act.
After the show we hurried over to our hotel and checked in. Got our bags upstairs and grabbed our jackets. Our next activity was a harbor cruise. It was scheduled so the sun went down while we were on the boat. This way we got to see the harbor during the day and at night with all the lights! It also took us right past the Statue of Liberty.
The hardest part was getting a good picture of Lady Liberty. We were on a boat that was moving back and forth, and it was dark. It was beautiful though!!
After this we walked back towards our hotel and Times Square. We got dinner at the Shake Shack. It was pretty decent! We just got it to go and took it back to our hotel room. All we wanted at that point was food and our beds! It was a great first day in New York!
Our plan was to get tickets to a matinee that day, so we waited in line at TKTS and got tickets to see Mary Poppins. We still had a few hours before we could check in and before the show started, so we decided to walk to some other stuff near by.
I had been to New York before, but I hadn't gone to a lot of places. The first place we stopped at was St. Patrick's Cathedral. I hadn't been here before and was completely blown away when we walked in! It was gorgeous!
Some of the sculptures and things were very different from what I'm used to seeing, but they were definitely amazing. Oddly enough, this ended up being one of my favorite places we visited.
Next we walked just down the block to Radio City Music Hall. We went on a tour of that. We were so exhausted from being up most of the night, our tour guide wasn't impressed by our lack of enthusiasm on the tour. I loved the details of the building, but the tour was a little slow/long for liking.
When we were in the actual auditorium the tour guide, and a lot of people in our tour, kept commenting on how large it was. While it was definitely big it didn't seem near as massive as the LDS Conference Center in our good old SLC, UT. We were just some unimpressed Mormons. :) One of the interesting things we learned was about the stage. It was the first of it's kind with it's huge hydrolics underneath that help it move up and down. During WWII (or was it I??) the government started using similar mechanics on their big carrier ships, so there were armed guards by the stage preventing spies from learning about it and using to their advantage. Crazy right?
After our tour we found a food cart and tried the gyros we'd heard so much about. It was definitely good. The best part was taking a break and sitting down!!
Then, we headed over to the theater for our matinee of Mary Poppins!
Outside the theater we saw some good old fashioned NYPD in action. This show is adorable! I love it. Matt and I saw it when it came to Utah. This turned out to be helpful because all three of us kept falling asleep during the first act. We were so exhausted, and we were packed in there which made it really warm. The perfect combo for some zzz's. Luckily we got some sugary treats during intermission and the second act has a little more pep than the first one. I don't think any of us fell asleep during the second act.
After the show we hurried over to our hotel and checked in. Got our bags upstairs and grabbed our jackets. Our next activity was a harbor cruise. It was scheduled so the sun went down while we were on the boat. This way we got to see the harbor during the day and at night with all the lights! It also took us right past the Statue of Liberty.
![]() |
| Empire state building, Freedom Tower, Brooklyn Bridge. |
![]() |
| Some of our many attempts to get a good picture! |







No comments:
Post a Comment