Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Ogden Temple

Most of you know I love the Ogden Utah Temple.  We were married there, it was the first temple I got to go inside, my parents were married there, and my sister and her husband were too!  I also love it because not many people do :)  Well, they are currently renovating it.  It's going to be completely different!  Matt and I went at the end of March, before they closed it, and did sealings "the way it was when we were sealed there."  I know it's not "traditionally pretty" but it does have some character!


way bad hair day (for me, not matt)!


My sister took this picture

...and this one, she's got some talent!
 This is what the temple is going to look like when they are done with the renovation....completely different right?  It will be pretty though.  I was a little sad when I first heard they were going to change it, but now my wedding pictures will be truly historic :)
Here are some facts about the Ogden Temple from the LDS temples website.
  • The Ogden Utah Temple was the fifth built in Utah.
  • The Ogden Utah Temple was the first temple dedicated in the state of Utah; the four previous temples were dedicated in Utah Territory over 78 years earlier.
  • The Ogden Utah Temple was the first temple built with six ordinance rooms, allowing sessions to begin every 20 minutes. (Only three other temples have six ordinance rooms: the Provo Utah Temple, Jordan River Utah Temple, and Washington D.C. Temple.)
  • The Ogden Utah Temple was originally named the Ogden Temple.
  • The original design for the Ogden Utah Temple included a gold-leafed statue of the angel Moroni atop a gold-colored spire. The statue was eventually eliminated from the design, though one was added over 30 years after its dedication.
  • The Ogden Utah Temple was constructed as a sister building to the Provo Utah Temple, which was built and dedicated at the same time.
  • Ground was broken for the Ogden Utah Temple on the 96th birthday of President David O. McKay. He passed away just 4 months later. The temple was subsequently dedicated on the second anniversary of his passing
  • As part of an exterior renovation in 2002, an angel Moroni statue was added to the Ogden Utah Temple, and the spire—originally gold colored—was painted white. 
    • and this is when I decided I would get married there :)

1 comment:

Alysa Clark said...

Enjoyed this post a ton! Thanks for the interesting facts!! :) We will miss the old O-town temple too. But are also looking forward to the new one... :)