A few weeks later she was diagnosed with stage IV metastic breast cancer. The doctors had found 5 tumors throughout her lungs and sternum. Later scans would reveal tumors throughout her rib cage, skull, spine, and thighs. After this, we were informed that her cancer would not be curable. The doctors were going to do their best to try and control the cancer, but it's not going away.
She has undergone major surgery and multiple chemo treatments. Only a few weeks ago, a MRI revealed 10 tumors on her brain. Just a few days later she had 10 radiation treatments over 9 days and this last week started another round of chemo treatments.
My mother-in-law is an incredible woman. She is one of the best grandma's around! She is so loving and caring and enjoys everything about her grandchildren. She trys to understand why they do the things they do and always has fun activites to help nurture their creativity. She loves her family and has sacrificed a lot for them.
The chances are high that our kids will never know Matt's mom in this life. I feel a sense of urgency to get to know all I can about her and learn everything I can from this talented woman. If you don't know this already CANCER SUCKS!!!! My perception on this has expanded so much more in the last year.
I HATE this disease and I don't want anyone to have to deal with it or watch someone they love deal with it. We have decided to participate in the Murray Relay For Life. It is coming up this weekend. If you have been affected by cancer, or know anyone who has been affected by it, please help us by showing your support & donate here. It would be awesome if we could surpass our team goal! We only have 3 days left! Help us Save 2nd Base!!!
3 comments:
What a special post Steph. She is lucky to have a daughter in-law like you, I am glad Matt has you in his life too so you can support each other in something I can't even fathom having to go through.
Cancer DOES suck. But your slogan is awesome. :)
Love you tons.
Hope all goes well this weekend. Take pictures!
Thank you for sharing those thoughts, Steph. You and Matt are inspiring. What a strong woman your mother-in-law seems to be. Let us know if you ever need us. We love you guys.
She sounds like a strong woman. I'm so sorry that she has to go through such a horrible disease! Thanks for sharing this post. It made me stop and think how precious our time together here on earth is.
Post a Comment